Chilhowee Event

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: Chilhowee Event

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote:
thrdeye wrote:My vids. Feedback welcome.

On day two, I was 2 feet off of two cones that I thought I was right on top of coming around the first left and then into crossover first time. There went a few tenths.

D1 - https://youtu.be/DttHbJltdxY

D2 - https://youtu.be/OLnl6U2ub7U
Any obvious differences between your 1st and 3rd runs on Sunday?
A little closer to the cones I mentioned during run 1, but I lifted slightly at the 3rd slalom cone so it was a wash. Also wasn't quite as aggressive near the magnolia circle and into the finish on run 1.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

dewittpayne wrote:I probably should have said something on Saturday. It seemed fairly obvious to me that the sound location wasn't going to work.
The only place engines were "singing" Saturday was right at the finish - and there was no place over there that would have been safe, legal and effective.

Much the same Sunday - we a better potential sound location near the finish - but in short order it became apparent that location was likely to present a lot of "nuisance" violations due to reflection off the water barriers / tire noise in the slalom / etc. I vetoed that location after only a few observed runs.

We did the best we could with it.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

P.S.

Many thanks to J.R. Newman for his interest and assistance - you should call him assistant sound chief, lol...

Also many thanks to Justin Dougherty for his help with Bristol.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
integra55

Post by integra55 »

“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
joker717

Post by joker717 »

steverife wrote:
joker717 wrote:Thanks to everyone who made this possible both days were fun even with the rain on Sunday. Thanks to everyone that helped me with locations for sound setup I now know why sound is so frustrating. Day 1 location was a bit of a bust :oops: , and we moved day two location multiple times before we started getting decent readings then the rain hit :x . So I don't envy Mike Kelly's job one bit, but I will continue to help out and learn the best locations so I can be more help later on down the road. Overall I had a great time and learned a lot about racing in rain.

If you guys don't mind here is a vid of my best run Saturday (still .8 seconds off first place) any help would be welcomed.
https://youtu.be/B-yjaE8yn58
I'll try. First, if you can mount the camera further up, you can get an angle that is more helpful. Personally, I like mounting outside the car, just behind the driver. You can see your inputs and where you are looking.

Opening slalom. It looks like you could be a lot more aggressive. Be aggressive going in. Be aggressive coming out. If you need to use your brakes to position the car at some point in between, that's fine.

First lefthander down the hill. It looks like you turned to late. Turn early. Aim at the apex cone. Use the run out given to you going down the hill.

Line for the bottom of the hill and run back up the hill and into the center section seemed fine.

You pushed out way too way wide on the right hander at the end of the center section. That section rewarded giving it up and staying tight. Do that and get back on the gas early and the next offsets are basically a straight. For the 180 facing MLK, you wanted to stay as tight as possible. Stay tight on exit and you can stay in the gas as much as the car will let you.

All in all, you generally want to drive the tightest line you can without fighting the car. If you have a Civic or CRX handling right, you'll be able to make the car tuck in and hold a line with a lift. Be aggressive with the throttle, but don't be afraid to lift or use the brakes to position the car.
Yeah that was the first time using that mount so I was nervous trying it outside of the car until it proved itself reliable (which it did very well). Next time will be better. I noticed from the beginning while codriving with Mike Koty that there was a big difference between how aggressive we are on course. I have always thought that I wasn't aggressive enough. Not sure how to fix that other than driving my car and just getting more comfortable with it. Thanks for the info I will refer back to this before pelli on the 9th to try to remember everything.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Wow, you all can hold the car flat out through a 5 slalom element? I paced it the second day at 26 and I could only hold it through 3.5 to 4 of the cones. My car is about 1800lbs but my suspension is pretty lack luster.

I agree slower through the crossover was faster though. Loved the event overall, had a good deal of fun.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

90civichb wrote:Wow, you all can hold the car flat out through a 5 slalom element? I paced it the second day at 26 and I could only hold it through 3.5 to 4 of the cones. My car is about 1800lbs but my suspension is pretty lack luster.

I agree slower through the crossover was faster though. Loved the event overall, had a good deal of fun.
The chilhowee slalom on sunday really wasn't 5 cones though. The last cone was really your entrance to the right hand sweeper, and although you did have to get back for it much like you would a slalom cone, you did not have to be as precise with the final cone as you would had it gone into a 6th slalom cone. And the first cone almost didn't even count because you're still building speed there. So really, it was a three-cone element in my mind.

But nevertheless, if you get your timing right and don't overwork the front tires, it should be doable. An NA Miata is very narrow and should zip through there.
Chris Harp
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Im more in reference to a National Course.. if you cant flat thru a 5 cone "true" salom.. no need to wonder why your down in the finish order any longer.
You just figured it out. :mrgreen:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Well this gives me a goal to shoot for.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
integra55

Post by integra55 »

John Brown wrote:Im more in reference to a National Course.. if you cant flat thru a 5 cone "true" salom.. no need to wonder why your down in the finish order any longer.
You just figured it out. :mrgreen:
I keep trying … one of these days my "driving ability" and my nads will come together and I'll actually make it through one :lol:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

I think I will try this flat out through the slalom technique......spin it to win it right?
Andrew Hodge
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

72RatCamaro wrote:I think I will try this flat out through the slalom technique......spin it to win it right?
That's right! :rockon:
Brian Robbins
XP 45
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

What is the difference in feet ....national slalom vs local
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Local slaloms are between 21-26 paces, national slaloms are 30-32 paces in general.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Y'all wanna see some slaloming?

Watch this! https://youtu.be/mAdnmLlVW5k

Seriously. This is impressive. I should have bought Raleigh's CSP car.
Chris Harp