STM Treadwear 2016

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

STM Treadwear 2016

Post by thrdeye »

To all members:

Please begin to consider your thoughts on the required minimum treadwear rating for tires in our STM class. Currently, this is set at 140 UTQG

You can email your comments to etrscca@gmail.com

Discussion can take place in this thread, but only emails sent to the above address will be taken into consideration by the ETR Solo Committee.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
lcoleman

Re: STM Treadwear 2016

Post by lcoleman »

I'd like to keep it 140 because I've got a stockpile of used tires and Federal is keeping the 595RSR as a 140tw. It seems like the newer 200tw stuff is as fast/faster anyway. I'm curious to hear what others think before I write my e-mail.

What we really need is a 195 section width limit on any cars under, say.....2400 lbs. ;)
Lucas Coleman STM #72
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

TRY a SET of STONES
Bob Colbert
steverife

Post by steverife »

lcoleman wrote:I'd like to keep it 140 because I've got a stockpile of used tires and Federal is keeping the 595RSR as a 140tw. It seems like the newer 200tw stuff is as fast/faster anyway. I'm curious to hear what others think before I write my e-mail.

What we really need is a 195 section width limit on any cars under, say.....2400 lbs. ;)
I don't think I"m going to send an email, but I agree. I don't think leaving it at 140TW is going to hurt anyone. RE71R's are faster than the Feds and definitely faster than a couple year old R1R's.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
integra55

Post by integra55 »

oldmuscle69 wrote:TRY a SET of STONES
lcoleman wrote:I'd like to keep it 140 because I've got a stockpile of used tires and Federal is keeping the 595RSR as a 140tw. It seems like the newer 200tw stuff is as fast/faster anyway. I'm curious to hear what others think before I write my e-mail.

note bolded part … he would like NOT have to purchase tires … :lol:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

If we dont change to 200, we will probably be the only place that isn't. The problem with that is if anyone thinks they might want to run a divisional or something out of region, they would have to go to a Street Prepared, Prepared, or Mod class.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

MARKP wrote:If we dont change to 200, we will probably be the only place that isn't. The problem with that is if anyone thinks they might want to run a divisional or something out of region, they would have to go to a Street Prepared, Prepared, or Mod class.

So we "force" people to buy tires to eliminate the chance that they MAY need to buy tires in the future to run their desired class in another region?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

...and the only reason I'm taking this stance is that I know that running a mostly local schedule, I was able to squeeze a couple of years out of street tires. We have good momentum with our STM class and I'd hate to lose some of that because a regular competitor didn't want to or wasn't able to drop several hundred bucks on new RE71R's when they have good useable tires that wouldn't upset the applecart.

If we think there are 140's that have an inherent advantage, then I'd vote to go to 200TW.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Re: RE: Re: STM Treadwear 2016

Post by MARKP »

steverife wrote:
MARKP wrote:If we dont change to 200, we will probably be the only place that isn't. The problem with that is if anyone thinks they might want to run a divisional or something out of region, they would have to go to a Street Prepared, Prepared, or Mod class.

So we "force" people to buy tires to eliminate the chance that they MAY need to buy tires in the future to run their desired class in another region?
Really? We aren't "forcing" anyone to do anything. There are plenty of classes for cars with below 200tw. My point was that if we do this locally, it becomes a barrier for anyone that would like to try something out of region and see how they compete at a higher level.

For example, what of Chris Harp hadn't decided to make a conscious effort to un-build the SM Subaru years ago. Now he runs several divisional and national events.

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
steverife

Post by steverife »

I don't disagree with that. However, changing to 200TW becomes the same barrier for those that want to continue running STM locally.

edit: ...and people like Lucas and Cody are running cars that aren't going to competitively fit in a national class anyway. I would happily offer a co-drive to either one if they wanted to go to a tour and I'm sure we'd have fun, but I don't see them driving several hours to run DP or FP on street tires.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I agree the Federals are cheap and a good value. However, we are giving a lot of notice on this, and actually did last year. Tires are a wear item.

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
integra55

Post by integra55 »

steverife wrote:

steverife wrote:...and the only reason I'm taking this stance is that I know that running a mostly local schedule, I was able to squeeze a couple of years out of street tires. We have good momentum with our STM class and I'd hate to lose some of that because a regular competitor didn't want to or wasn't able to drop several hundred bucks on new RE71R's when they have good useable tires that wouldn't upset the applecart.

If we think there are 140's that have an inherent advantage, then I'd vote to go to 200TW.

solution … leave it the way it is (disclaimer: no dog in this fight) and if a competitor thinks they might want to/plan on, running STM outside of ETR, then they shell out the $$ for 200 TW tires …
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

...or find a co-drive.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Amen, Steve. Lets put this ridiculousness to bed and just leave STM alone until a new 140tw tire forces us to revisit.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Not that I have been running much lately, but I agree that it should just be left alone ... no one is forced to buy the minimum tread wear tires, run what you brung (if that still is the STM philosophy).
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)