Car Class Help Please

Discussions related to Solo
grantw80

Car Class Help Please

Post by grantw80 »

Hi All,
Grant from Chattanooga here. Since we in Chattanooga don't place to party just yet I was planning on partnering with your ETR club and participating in Solo as much as I can this year, so I've preemptively purchased another play-thing and need some help determining car class please.

1984 BMW 318i
cranky 5-speed
Rebuilt M10 1.8L engine & carb
suspension replaced with newer factory components but still a stock level of performance from what I can tell.
Stock 14" wheels with street tires (480 UTQG)
It does have a catalytic converter, but the rear muffler/baffler is aftermarket (and far too big)
The previous owner/worker left some basics out of the engine bay like A/C compressors and condensers, power steering, other bibs and bobs.
I can't see any extras bracing or sway bars or what not.

So ... I'm guessing SP, but thoughts please?
-Grant (The Aussie)
lcoleman

Re: Car Class Help Please

Post by lcoleman »

Welcome to another e30 guy! :D

I don't think anyone would protest you in DS locally. Not sure if the lack of accessories bumps you to STX or DSP.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Lack of accessories would put you in FSP with an '84. That would be your most competitive class. Other class options that come to mind would be XP and STM. You would definitely have your hands full in either of the last two.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
grantw80

Post by grantw80 »

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Ironically enough I've actually already moved on a different machine lol. The 'classic' beemer was fun for a short while, but the sound of 8 cylinders was calling my name too loudly :p
-Grant (The Aussie)
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

grantw80 wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Ironically enough I've actually already moved on a different machine lol. The 'classic' beemer was fun for a short while, but the sound of 8 cylinders was calling my name too loudly :p
:rockon:

I love listening to my S14 and my LS3. What's the new ride?
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
grantw80

Post by grantw80 »

2003 Mustang GT with intake and exhaust mods.
well ... and suspension and 3.73 rear gear and hopefully soon some better brakes.
It's louder than it is fast, but so far its fun :)
-Grant (The Aussie)
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

grantw80 wrote:2003 Mustang GT with intake and exhaust mods.
well ... and suspension and 3.73 rear gear and hopefully soon some better brakes.
Just a reminder....NEW 2016 Strict Sound Policy

Because of residential areas near our site, the sound policy at this location will be strictly enforced with a limit of 96db. We recommend 93 to 94db.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

grantw80 wrote:2003 Mustang GT with intake and exhaust mods.
Presuming you pass sound, CAM-C. The 3.73 rear gear may be a problem, not for classing, but for running out of revs too soon. You may end up running in third gear, depending on the rolling radius of your wheels and tires.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Just come out and have a good time. Hopefully you aren't too loud.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

01badz28 wrote:Just come out and have a good time. Hopefully you aren't too loud.
I'll second that. Having a good time comes first. Deal with performance later.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

grantw80

Post by grantw80 »

Having never autocrossed this car I've no idea how the rear gear will effect gear selection and braking points. It'll be learn as I go I guess.
And while it is loud I think it's below the 95db range. At least ... I hope lol. We'll see.

Having said all that, disappointingly it seems the car won't be ready for this weekend ): Unless I can bum (or buy) a seat in someone else's ride as a co-driver I might have to sit the opener out :/
-Grant (The Aussie)
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

grantw80 wrote:Having never autocrossed this car I've no idea how the rear gear will effect gear selection and braking points. It'll be learn as I go I guess.
And while it is loud I think it's below the 95db range. At least ... I hope lol. We'll see.

Having said all that, disappointingly it seems the car won't be ready for this weekend ): Unless I can bum (or buy) a seat in someone else's ride as a co-driver I might have to sit the opener out :/
Every car is going to be different (ok, I know DeWitt probably has a complete breakdown of your car's gear selection, braking points, drag co-efficient, etc. :mrgreen: ) So you may or may not be at a disadvantage gear wise. There used to be a guy that ran with us with an 02 Mustang and 4:10s in the back and he was pretty fast (not as fast as his mouth though).

Speaking for myself, my car has 3.73s and third gear in my car starts around 80-90 mph. Only time I've ever hit those speeds at an autocross was 1: 411 speedway; 2: Nashville Superspeedway when we ran the mostly unadulterated oval, and 3: a local event with a wide open finish that we don't talk about. So, you may be fine but I don't know how my T-56 internal ratios compare to your gear box internals.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

A 4.10 gear is actually about right for running in third gear. A 3.73 in a Mustang is too short for third and too tall for second. My mechanic, who races a Mustang in the American Iron class in NASA, has a 4.10 gear in his car. With that gearing, you probably wouldn't even bother with first gear.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Tony was running 2nd gear at our events with the 4.10.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I ran a Blue Ridge Region course that was so tight, I stayed in first gear. But it really takes a light touch on the throttle. It also depends on the transmission gearing. If I had JY's transmission, I could run most courses with a 4.10 in second gear too. His second gear is nearly the same ratio as my third gear.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C