**2016 Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown**

Discussions related to Solo
joker717

Re: **2016 Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown**

Post by joker717 »

:lol2: That is exactly why I'm making this trip, I basically HATE driving my civic on the highway. Its loud, uncomfortable, and it isn't exactly the safest built car that Honda has ever made. Having said that Ive been dying to go to one of these major events and this is the closest one and probably the only one ill get to go to. Hopefully i can get a trailer and get to more but for now i will be at Bristol and hoping that we can keep it happening from year to year.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Charlie,

I have a Sparco driver's seat. It's a Chrono Road, not a full race seat, but it has a lot more lateral support than the OEM seat. A full race seat shouldn't be that uncomfortable. Even in an autocross, it's probably distracting. People drive for hours in enduros in full race seats.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

1) Endurance race teams are likely working with a different budget than your weekend guy that is trying to turn a couple grand into some fun.
2) Focusing on what you are doing on track is a lot different than mindlessly eating up miles at 70 mph, often without a/c or a stereo.

Even the Spyder, which is stock, isn't pleasant on road trips. The seat isn't uncomfortable, but no cruise control, and there isn't enough room to really stretch or move your legs. When I try to move around, my leg catches the steering wheel and the car wants to dart into the other lane or off the road. I have to stop pretty frequently.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Chuck629

Post by Chuck629 »

dewittpayne wrote:Charlie,

I have a Sparco driver's seat. It's a Chrono Road, not a full race seat, but it has a lot more lateral support than the OEM seat. A full race seat shouldn't be that uncomfortable. Even in an autocross, it's probably distracting. People drive for hours in enduros in full race seats.

vs

Those things look like barcaloungers vs the Kirkey torture racks. Seriously, the only thing worse than Kirkeys for comfort is those plastic Summit seats. Any normal fixed back Fia-approved seat is usually miles better. Lucas ditched his Kirkey but Cody still has his. A drive to Bristol in his car would just be horrible. Gutted (with all the smells of a gutted car), no windows, no radio, ac, cruise or any modern thing you'd have in a Mustang. And a pretty high strung turbo engine. No way I'd want to drive that car to Bristol.
Charlie Sykes STM #55

1991 Honda CRX SI
1990 Mazda Miata
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I don't know what kind of seat Walter Jones had, but it was a race seat and he drove his car to events all over the Southeast. Google Maps says it's at least two hours from Weaverville, NC to Pellisssippi State. So it can be done.

Saving money on an uncomfortable car seat is false economy. It needs to be comfortable first and foremost, even for autocross.

Is the trash can in the background meant to be a statement?
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

There are indeed some STM cars that should probably be on a trailer if the event is 100 miles away. But I don't think that's true for most ETR STM cars. I'm still seeing only four entries in STM.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I drove my FSP Scirocco, roll cage, loud exhaust, crappy headlights, leaky sunroof, almost no windshield wiper around to lots of national events when I was in college. The drive to Topeka, Kansas convinced me to buy a truck and car trailer.

Bristol is easy. [emoji38]

Not trying to beat on the STM guys. You have your priorities and I had mine. :wink:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Race seats: I wouldn't put a full race seat like the Kirkey in a car without a full cage. There's a reason why street cars only have three point harnesses with the buckle on the inside. It's the same reason why four or more point harnesses aren't SCCA legal without at least a roll bar. IMO, the same should be true for race seats with upper bolsters that large.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I'm really pretty disappointed that this thread has degenerated into this. Way to make STM as a whole feel welcome and appreciated, guys. I hope none of the non-regulars read through this thread.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

lcoleman wrote:I'm really pretty disappointed that this thread has degenerated into this. Way to make STM as a whole feel welcome and appreciated, guys. I hope none of the non-regulars read through this thread.
Contrary to what some of the posts may have appeared, I think I can speak for most anyone on this thread when I say we do welcome anyone in STM and appreciate the hard work you put into your cars and participation in the event. I think some of us really thought the STM people would have been excited to run a Match Tour. I guess we missed that one.

My post, a few posts up, as noted, wasn't intended to beat on you guys. I was just sharing what I used to do when I had a car that was barely street legal.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah, please make sure you read my last post correctly. Until the STM pax was announced for this event, that's what I was planning on running all year. But, I am not going to screw up this event and be stuck with an STM pax when i have a shot at contingency.

Again, cody...lucas....you should cinsider codrive with each other in my RX8 in STX. It can do it with a good driver...and you both are certainly that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
timray

Post by timray »

We drive 2 hours each way to hang out with people we like to race at Pelli.This event is so much more than a local even though our club is hosting and giving us a points event at the same time.
We love traveling and look forward to seeing friends we only see at tours.
Hey JY, maybe Bronwyn and I should just switch classes for this event. Maybe we could take first and 2ND like our STR days last year. :D
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

My comment wasn't directed at either of you. (I can read quite well Chris, thanks :wink: :) ) It was moreso at the condescending comments like these:
dewittpayne wrote:If I felt that way, I wouldn't be autocrossing at all.
ConeEater wrote:If money is a concern for events... Then autocross isn't for you.
Plus some old guy with squishy reclining seats, a/c, sound deadening, etc trying to tell us what is and isn't comfortable. :lol: I would have no problem driving my car to and from Bristol, but it's apples to oranges with a stock class car. Cody's car would be absolutely awful, lol. It's a valid point for sure.

I think this all started because the question was raised last year if STM would even be allowed to participate. In my case, if I would've had to run in DSP, I definitely wouldn't have even considered participating. I'm in this for the competition. I appreciate ALL the effort that was put into making it happen and getting us a pax, even if I think the pax # is kind of moot (just being allowed to run would be fine). I, too, am surprised that only 4 drivers are signed up. I just feel it's in poor taste to continually "call out" the class for low participation numbers, then berate us and make snooty comments when we/I try to provide some insight as to why we're/I'm not going. I really don't feel a need to defend my decisions about how I spend my money/time on this hobby, but I think if another casual STM competitor were reading through this thread, they might not get the best impression of the club. I know how nice everyone is and the way it's depicted here surprises and disappoints me. I would normally write this off as my own misaligned perception, but obviously others feel the same way.

I ain't mad, but.....some of you need to chill.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

thrdeye wrote: Again, cody...lucas....you should cinsider codrive with each other in my RX8 in STX. It can do it with a good driver...and you both are certainly that.
Honestly, I think your car would be fun to drive and if I do another Bristol event I will probably take you up on it. I like my car but it's not very fun to put miles on. I wouldn't mind driving the Subaru up and co-driving your car. I can see a fun STX/STU car in my future if I stick with the sport.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Are there plans in the works for ETR to get together either Friday or Saturday night for dinner and a beer?
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black