Wilmington Spring ProSolo Thread

Discussions related to Solo
dewittpayne

Re: Wilmington Spring ProSolo Thread

Post by dewittpayne »

MARKP wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:I thought the staging lights were low enough to the ground that they only saw the tires. Rather than add something to the front, you might want to take anything away in front of the tires that's breaking the beam before the tires.
The lights are 7" off the ground this year.
Why did anyone think that was a good idea? The tires are a nice fixed reference point for any car.

They must have a way to deal with that at drag strips because front wheels come off the ground on launch all the time.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

So how are they going to manage things if, as it stands now, Jadrice and Ryan both make the Super Challenge?
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dewittpayne wrote:
MARKP wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:I thought the staging lights were low enough to the ground that they only saw the tires. Rather than add something to the front, you might want to take anything away in front of the tires that's breaking the beam before the tires.
The lights are 7" off the ground this year.
Why did anyone think that was a good idea? The tires are a nice fixed reference point for any car.

They must have a way to deal with that at drag strips because front wheels come off the ground on launch all the time.
They keep going back and forth every few years. I think the lights being low causes problems for cars with low bodywork, mod, karts, certain SP cars, etc. They need to just pick one and stick with it so everybody knows what they are dealing with.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Almost whatever height they pick is going to be too low for some and too high for others. As you say, pick one and stick with it. Based on all the red lights at Wilmington, I'm thinking that seven inches was not the best choice, though. I should probably look at the previous Pro Solo results and see if they had problems there.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

Having it at the tires keeps you from staging deep also. What's stopping people from just rolling halfway through the lights?
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

jcoatney wrote:Having it at the tires keeps you from staging deep also. What's stopping people from just rolling halfway through the lights?
Reaction time. There's exactly 12 inches between the second light and the red light. You drop the clutch slightly after the last yellow light comes on. The closer you are to the red light beam, the longer you would have to wait. It's easier to get precise location by staging at the point where the second light just comes on. If you drive past that point, you don't know where you are.

There's a section of the rules specifically devoted to 'Flappers', devices to make light tripping consistent.
6. Street category vehicles are not allowed to add any additional devices (i.e., “flappers”) designed to break the lights at the start or finish. Exceptions may be made by the Chief Steward.

7. “FLAPPER” RULE: The intent of this rule is to have every vehicle stage in such a manner that the same component that breaks the stage light beam would also break the red light beam under normal acceleration during competition. The preferred component is the front tire. Any added component forward of the front tire and closer than three inches (3”) to the ground must extend longitudinally and parallel to the ground for at least 18" or until it intersects the plane between the front tires; exceptions may or may not be approved by the Chief Steward.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The Challenge brackets aren't showing up yet on 'live' timing and scoring. It's been over two hours since the regular runs were finished.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Guess it's not working top 4 in FS all Camaro's
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

So anyway who did what??????
Bob Colbert
steverife

Post by steverife »

Pros are busy.

My wheelhop issue wasn't solved and I managed to cover my engine bay with axle grease during Friday practice starts. I get offered a ride by one of the guys in my class, Azmath. I take him up. Saturday morning goes okay. Car is fun. I had a really fast run, but I get one of the bogus trips. Lots of people in my class had that issue. I think that the instant you begin to let out the clutch, a car like the Spyder squats and trips the lights.

Saturday afternoon. I go out and I'm dropping time and getting more aggressive on my first 2 runs. Third run, I launch, grab 2nd, turn in the for the first turn. POP! Car is suddenly crazy loose, scraping the doorhandles on the turns, and burning off the inside rear everywhere I wanted to put power down. One of the bolts to the swaybar brackets breaks. I actually put down okay times in what might have been 2 of my best autocross runs ever, given what I was working with. I'm 10 out of 12. I thought we were done, but we managed to have enough random bushings and bolts and washers between us to get the swaybar mounted back up and it held today.

Today, the runs felt good, but I just didn't find time. Finished 10th out of 12. Meh.

All in all, it was a really good weekend. I think I learned some things.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Results are here: http://www.scca.com/events/1981906-2016 ... ng-prosolo

ETR mostly didn't do all that well. My tires won their class in CAM, but Jadrice was second in ESP in Jeff's car and Jeff sixth. JB was eighth in STS, Rife was tenth in ES, Jed Peterson was fifth with a trophy in STR, Cathers was fourth with a trophy and Kristo Kukk was ninth in STX, Laura Campbell won L3 and the Ladies Challenge. Ryan Finch in Jeff's car with my tires won CAM, but didn't compete in the Challenge. I guess they couldn't work out the logistics of changing tires so Jadrice ran Jeff's car and was out in the first round.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Worst National event in 10 years. I was gonna cancel Fri morning due to being sick as shit, but motel was not refundable,so I went. Never had a clear head as to seeing the course.. and the Red Light just added t o injury. after 3 RL in the morning I knew I HAD to get as least one time,so after the 3rd light came on..and I mean ON... no anticipation, I waited still another seemed like forever moment... and then I took off.. what I figures would be a .900 light..was a damm .534!!!

The lights are the dumbest change I have seen in a long time. The height is senseless..

The Kumhos worked well on course.. however I did swap to BS on Sunday,but not because of course action.. if you looked at my 60 ft times.. youll see that I had consistant 2.5's. Thats .3 slower than every car in my class, so I had to see if it was the forward drive of the Kumho tires. It wasnt.

I guess I have bigger issues. :(

I rewalked the course Sunday morning feeling a little better,and actually saw the lines. I went faster,but should have left the Kumho's on cause the BS were for sure not as grippy.. having to wait on every turn in for the car to take a set.

But............ the weather.. GRAND !!!
:lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

In other news, I think I'm going to try Rivals on the rear of my car once I get it back working. I really liked how they felt.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
flier129

Post by flier129 »

dewittpayne wrote:Results are here: http://www.scca.com/events/1981906-2016 ... ng-prosolo

ETR mostly didn't do all that well. My tires won their class in CAM, but Jadrice was second in ESP in Jeff's car and Jeff sixth. JB was eighth in STS, Rife was tenth in ES, Jed Peterson was fifth with a trophy in STR, Cathers was fourth with a trophy and Kristo Kukk was ninth in STX, Laura Campbell won L3 and the Ladies Challenge. Ryan Finch in Jeff's car with my tires won CAM, but didn't compete in the Challenge. I guess they couldn't work out the logistics of changing tires so Jadrice ran Jeff's car and was out in the first round.
My god, look at the super challenge results..... HS pax ftw?

John Brown wrote:Worst National event in 10 years. I was gonna cancel Fri morning due to being sick as shit, but motel was not refundable,so I went. Never had a clear head as to seeing the course.. and the Red Light just added t o injury. after 3 RL in the morning I knew I HAD to get as least one time,so after the 3rd light came on..and I mean ON... no anticipation, I waited still another seemed like forever moment... and then I took off.. what I figures would be a .900 light..was a damm .534!!!

The lights are the dumbest change I have seen in a long time. The height is senseless..

The Kumhos worked well on course.. however I did swap to BS on Sunday,but not because of course action.. if you looked at my 60 ft times.. youll see that I had consistant 2.5's. Thats .3 slower than every car in my class, so I had to see if it was the forward drive of the Kumho tires. It wasnt.

I guess I have bigger issues. :(

I rewalked the course Sunday morning feeling a little better,and actually saw the lines. I went faster,but should have left the Kumho's on cause the BS were for sure not as grippy.. having to wait on every turn in for the car to take a set.

But............ the weather.. GRAND !!!
:lol:
Ah, this makes a little more sense now. I would of bet money that JB was exclaiming "shit I wish I brought a fresh set of stones!". You were the fastest miata in STS, did the course favor FWD in your opinion? Cathers said it was tight, but difficult to get the power down in Davies' STX car.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

It for sure favored the better torque CRX's. never ever hit rev limiter.. not even close.

It had 2 corners that were over 120 degree corners
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C