Smokies event # 3

Discussions related to Solo
John Brown

Re: Smokies event # 3

Post by John Brown »

Hey.. Im not bound by Kumho. Ill have the RE71's in the trailer too. . . . just in case my 720's EXPLODE on course!! :roll:

600 is better than 300... but 300 is better than 0 ! :mrgreen:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I don't think there is any doubt that the tire is fast. I just think that Kumho knows there is an issue, but they can't do anything about it, and that's a problem for me.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I think potentially that on tracks and such where the tire gets really really hot for a extended period of time that it has a problem but for autoxing only, I don't think it will be a issue.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TedV

Post by TedV »

jcox07 wrote:I think potentially that on tracks and such where the tire gets really really hot for a extended period of time that it has a problem but for autoxing only, I don't think it will be a issue.
This.. As long as you have time to cool them. I bet if they were shaved they would last longer on track too. Anybody tried shaving yet?

They durometer out softer than a Hoosier DOT tire
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

Chuck629 wrote: I was wondering about the wheel/tire setup on your car. Why the 17's in the back instead of 15's? Is it a 6 speed car and you wanted a taller tire to make 2nd more usable?
Super secret different setup for STR, aimed mostly at aggravating super serious miata drivers! The NB seems to just be a bit slow in STR with the normal setup so I'm going out on a long limb. I may have swapped out for a six speed to the taller tire to stay in the power band better. Final gearing is about a wash vs shorter tire on the 5 speed. The tire contact patch however is much, much larger :D Forward traction is really really good on it this year.

At event #3 I had the alignment rather close, but now it pushed like a pig with the same setup as the old square tire setup. Not surprising given how much more rear tire I have. Light weight wheels are coming and some new setup bits to make it better balanced. Dropping weight from a variety of places and a 'piggyback' (thanks scca...) to wire in should be worth a decent bit of time over the california ecu it's got now.
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Aaron and Gary and David and Keith know more about the pressures than I. I just check 'em to whatever they tell me.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
benk

Re: RE: Re: Smokies event # 3

Post by benk »

01badz28 wrote:
benk wrote:Course looked good from the look I had at it. Big thanks to Brian and Ariel for towing the BMW home after its brake failure. Replacing the hardlines stem to stern is going to be super fun before the next event.

That transition going up from the lower lot is quite the unsettling bump!
Speaking of brakes, this is how my Sunday ended:

That is the bleeder screw on the right side puking out all the brake fluid, while closed.

Should be a cheap fix, as the threads don't look screwed up an the bleeder screw itself is still on one piece.
Ouch. That's almost worse since it's such a weird failure. At least it's not an intensive fix.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH