Pre-loading swaybars?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
CMS-GT4

Pre-loading swaybars?

Post by CMS-GT4 »

Has anyone tried pre-loading their sway bars with adjustable links?

What kind of handling characteristics does it induce?

I would expect quicker response from a swaybar since it seems it would be reacting to stree already.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Well, my definition of "PRE-loading" them, would be to just tighten the shit out of them. I know on my car, it helped by just cranking the crap out of the links to really mash down on the urethane bushing. While at the dragstrip, i just leave it finger loose to help it launch better.

Pre-loading swaybars for an autox, however, i dont think would create THAT much of a difference. Springs and struts seem to have more noticeable gains.
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

????? What do you mean pre-load?

The only possibility I thought of would just make the car lean one way or the other while sitting still on level ground. This seems to me that it could create some strange effects, unless it is done equally on both front and back.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
whenry

Post by whenry »

You might be adding a slight spring effect since you theoretically are effecting the reaction time of the bar. However you are probably just causing the snap to occur a little quicker.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
MichaelXi

Post by MichaelXi »

My rear Poly-U Bushing'ed endlinks pre-load my rear bar a little bit, so the effect is more instant, w/o the slop of the factory rubber bushings, plus the endlinks have some spacers which seem to have the bar under a load at stand-still. I liked the effect after the swap.
I don't think I'd want to do it up front for Auto-X unless you're having a specific problem that you think that that would help.
:)
Focus on FASTER!!!!
whenry

Post by whenry »

Generally you are using the adjustable links to take the bind out of the suspension ie after lowering a Miata, the links will barely stretch to plug the hole in the sway bars so you fit adjustable links. To do it right you almost need to set the wheels on blocks or other raised platform so that the suspension is loaded and you can work under the car at the same time. Then adjust the links so that they slide easily into the mount.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

My interpretation of pre-loading a sway bar has always been to have one side with more load than the other. Something like what Scott was saying. With that in mind, I can't see how that would halp at an autocross. You would have a car that would have one characteristic turning right and a different characteristic turning left.

It seems to me, that if you have to twist the car around to get the swaybar to mount or if it doesn't move freely, then it is in a bind and can't effectively do it's job. I always make sure that everything on the suspension moves freely on my car.

My $.02.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
BillyM

Post by BillyM »

The only time I have EVER seen pre-loading in the sense that one side end-link is lengthened/shortened to give a desired lean, is at the strip for the non-lsd/posi guys to put a little lean on it. The attitude difference between front and rear makes the back end torque a little onto the spinning-side of the axle putting more weight onto it. Alot like weight-jacking... VERY good mod for those one-wheel-spinners out there. (silly non-lsd kids)

load on a swaybar is created by lean, you cannot create "preload" without taking preference to one side or another. Baaad for the autox. Now, cranking down on some poly bushings real tight will take out some slop, but should not "preload".

I make any sense of it all?

--BillyM