Autocross at Pellissippi State

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Tony I think the shopping thing must be a Lenoir City thing. I am glad to see that you like going to PCA events, but I personaly think there course are less than desirable.

Vic I can understand why people feel the way they do, because I have also been to event where the PCA people did not step up to help at a time of need. I have also seen PCA people with the attatude that they are better than the SCCA. I know your don't control the people that attend your events but as someone that used to attend your events I have seen this happen. I have never seen anybody post on line that you should not attend our events and you should realy think about that one.

Adesa is a sore spot at this time and I don't know all the problems that happened there.

I realy would like to see the PCA and SCCA work together getting sites and keeping them. Is the PCA going to have sound check at the new site?

I know this Vic told me when I was the Solo Chairman that if it was not for the SCCA the PCA would have to stop having events. I say this only to say where is the PCA supporting the SCCA events? I personaly think SCCA has been more than accomidating supporting the PCA's events like letting them post on our forums. Do we post our events on your site Vic? If not why not?

Robert Carpenter
2001 E-stock Solo 2 National Champion
2001 E-stock Pro-solo National Champion
2004 G-stock Solo2 National Champion

PS: As Rick Flair would say to be the man you have to beat the MAN!
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

rocracing2004 wrote: I am glad to see that you like going to PCA events, but I personaly think there course are less than desirable.
Thats cool, I like faster courses and things that are more opend. I'm not truley concerned about perfect apexing and seeing how many times I can turn the wheel for 30 seconds.

I'm just not a technical driver, I like to navigate at a littler higher speeds. Not knocking anything, just different likes for different people.
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Where are the events being held that have the higher speeds? The events that I have been to are just straight ways with a "U" turn or sloums that are so tight you could not drive them with your car.

You have to understand that last PCA event was in Jefferson City and I made one lap and parked the CRX.

Robert
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Oh, the one's I did didn't seem that way to me. I liked the ones at Rockwood, the old Magnavox lot(despite the pavement surface :( ), the 411's one's of course, and the ones at Adesa. They tried one at McMinnville H.S. and it was a small lot but they really made the best of it.

I think it was Jim Thompson that attended that one as well, and while we both were discouraged in the beginning, after running it really was quite fun despite one little tight turn section(maybe it was a 180* turn or something).
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Tony,

I will say this the 411 events were great when they had the first course. I don't know if you were running back then but they were great. I guess I will have to look at the PCA sometime.

Robert
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

rocracing2004 wrote:Tony,

I will say this the 411 events were great when they had the first course. I don't know if you were running back then but they were great. I guess I will have to look at the PCA sometime.

Robert
It's just a change-up from the few ETR events I run. There was a course at Rockwood I wasn't particularly fond of that had like 3 "light bulb shaped" navigation, but the other 1/2 of the course was like a little mini race track. I like that part alot!

The 411 stuff was enjoyable for me. Of course, those things kinda depended on the HP level of your car, too! I'll openly admit that.

You've seen me drive, i'm more of the sledge hammer type, instead of the the "thread the needle" type like alota other people are. :)
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

W/O delving into any of the politics, so long as the event is safe and fun I'll run.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

Bring the torque specs for your lug nuts or face the wrath of the dude with the torque wrench. :wink:

I have fun at PCA events. Everyone here harps on their attitude, but considering its a group of Porsche enthusiasts, I think they are considerate to make their events open to everyone.

I have seen some snootiness at some of the events, but it's just that much more fun fun to beat people in a $50k car with a $1k car.

I've also met some really nice people that don't usually show at SCCA events.

I'll try to make the event and volunteer to help in whatever capacity you need.

If I see behavior at an event that jeapordizes sites, I will say something about it. Until I see said behavior, I will not.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Vic,

Are y’all using the rolling grid? If so, would there be a way to have a section for staging a few cars that have support equip like booster batteries, wheel chocks, etc? Rolling grids don’t work so well for my Formula Ford and other cars prone to heat soak.

Are race cars allowed at your events? I only remember seeing street based cars at the events I’ve been to. I’m very sound conscious, my car runs upper 80’s to low 90’s DbA at 50 ft with muffler.

How many runs for the $20? I’m wanting to try some different set up stuff and cheaper to do it in town than Huntsville. Time between runs? I can change springs and setup pretty quick and also need some time for car to cool.

Do you still have the person standing at the end of the stop box? That is my biggest concern and the reason I have not been back to any PCA events. It is extremely dangerous as who knows what will break or fail at the end of a run. I really hate to see someone risk getting seriously hurt or killed at an autocross. I can not understand why the PCA wants someone standing in front of a car as it comes hopefully to a stop.

Thanks,
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
2fast4me

Post by 2fast4me »

This is long - sorry.

So Vic Rola invites us to a PCA autocross, and the ensuing discussion becomes a free for all. Here is my "tuppence" worth.

I am a SMT PCA member AND a SCCA member, and was an SCCA member before I bought a Porsche, or became a PCA member. I enter as many autocross events as I can. First off, I think it inappropriate to mouth off about other clubs in our forum, for all to see. Trying to insult Porsche owners by calling their cars a glorified bug, for instance, is a cheap shot, this is not middle school gentleman, insulting each others transportation choices has no place here.

I was at the now infamous Adesa PCA autocross, and I know the contents of the letter sent to the PCA, and the reasons Adesa stated in the letter are essentially nothing to do with the actions of SMT PCA. I have heard comments that they used part of the facility without permission, but an Adesa employee was asked if an area could be used for a drivers meeting, and they gave their permission at the time, and I personally helped clean up the area afterwards. If Adesa had a problem with their own employee giving permission, let SMT PCA and their own employee know, so that it won't happen again - no problem. But, according to the letter from Adesa, the prime reason for not allowing the 10-15 planned SCCA/SMT PCA autocross events to continue, was due to the time and cost of moving the vehicles, not actions by members of SMT PCA. During the entire event, I personally saw nothing that I could construe as inappropriate behavior from any attendee, and during the drivers meeting, emphasis was given to respect for the site and the people allowing us to use it. If anybody knows different, by all means let me know, so that it can be addressed, or not! Either way, its done, so lets get over it and use the forum for more pressing issues instead of bickering.

I have also read that PCA members may not help at events, and are snooty. I do not think I am snooty, thank you very much, and I help at events. I think John Brown is a PCA and SCCA member, I don't think he is snooty either, and even if he was, I would not post it on this or any other forum. I and other SMT PCA members also helped clean up the oil slick from a Subaru, whom I think was an SCCA member, after he dumped all his oil at Rockwood, funny, we NEVER help! Nuff said, best not to stereotype then...........

Now, while the PCA obviously get income from SCCA' ers entering their events, this grand impression that a few of our SCCA members have that the PCA owe us, or couldn't survive without us, or can't set up a course without the help of an SCCA member is just a little tiny bit condescending, (almost snooty, one might say!) Obviously they can set up a good (slightly different from SCCA) course, and their events run just fine thank you.

As for advertising our ETR SCCA calendar of events with PCA, they say that's fine, just send them a request. When have they refused to post the dates? Never, we haven't asked them to! I was the SMT PCA newsletter editor for the last 18 months, and have never been contacted by an SCCA member wanting to advertise the fact that they have an event, plus with 100 entries for many of the SCCA events, do we really need any extra promotion?

I enjoy PCA courses, and SCCA courses, they are different, but for the life of me I can not understand how some might have the opinion that one is right and the other is wrong to the point of hurling insults. As Tony "the voice of reason" Bolton simply and wisely put it, "some shop at Walmart, and some at Target".............it doesn't have to make SCCA and PCA enemies, and it certainly doesn't warrant this "us against them" mentality.

The SMT PCA have cordially invited us to their event, and I have enjoyed all their past events. Those that are interested in a slightly different (not better, not worse, just different) autocross course might like to attend, and see what all the fuss is about - I hope to see you there, whether you be SCCA, PCA, or newcomers.

Respectfully yours,

Jonathan Foulds
ETR SCCA Member
SMT PCA Member
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

You're good people, Jonathon! I'm in 100% aggreance with you. I think this has all just been a huge misunderstanding which can easily happen with lot space being a sparce thing around the area.
steverife

Post by steverife »

SCCA guys are too uppity for normal drain plugs. :roll: :lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
4Davey

Post by 4Davey »

Mr. Foulds, You are right the "bug" thing was cheap.(Cause if I could afford one I'd have one) Just got alittle hot when told to NOT show up. I have heard alot of members mention your name as a great guy. Also I would go to war for Greg and Avery Fetner.
In hind site I was wrong for the way I said somethings. But if Vic's answer for critism is to tell me not to bother to come to their autocross....That's elementary school.
'78 Volvo Yellow (Lance) He's Baaaaaack!
'84 Volvo 245 Turbo White(Lightning)
"83 Volvo 242 Turbo Black (Thunder)
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

He was just trying to say if you were not in agreeance with the way they run their events, you didn't hafta show up. He wasn't trying to come off as angry or mad. Or at least thats the way I read it. :?:
vicrola

Post by vicrola »

To TedV ...

We will work with you anyway we can to avoid 'rolling grids'. If you have an issue with the griding of your car, let me know, I'll step in and correct same.
Yes, we welcome your race car at the event.
The # of runs on the 15th will depend on the # of entrants. I like to set up a 50+ second course, witha minimum of four runs...We'll see. If you need additional time to 'prep' your chassis, we'll work to get you secured in a later run group.
We have eliminated our 'stop box' program, and substituted a 'maximum' run-off area.

Vic