Harbor Freight Aluminum Jacks $89.99

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Harbor Freight Aluminum Jacks $89.99

Post by disneyd »

Thought you guys would want to know. I got a catalog last week with the HF lightweight aluminum "racing" jacks for $89.99, item number 91039. That could be a catalog/mail-order only price.

HERE is a link for more details.

I bought one back when they were, ahem, $129, only a couple of months ago and really llike it so far. Its light and fits under the Locost.
- Dave Disney
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I have catologue shopped from Harbor Freight for years and generally have been satisfied. On my first trip to their store in Knoxville shortly after it opened, I took the time to wander up and down all the aisles and look carefully at much of their merchandise. I was surprised by how much of it was obviously substandard. The term used in the business I am in for some of the things I saw is suspect/counterfeit. Shop carefully at Harbor Freight.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I think if you are just getting simple tools - wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. They are great. But if you are getting something mechanical - torque wrench, ratchets, etc., they are not good.

My torque wrench broke halfway through autocross season.

Dave, does that jack fit w/o rolling up on to 2x4s? I cant get a jack under my car w/o 2x4s, and I'm sure your locost is lower than the WRX.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

i'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this, but i'm pretty certain that JW has this jack and fits under his honda that is pretty much slizzammed :D
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
whenry

Post by whenry »

the more "expensive" version fits under a Spec Miata and my other street cars with ease. I want to say that it is 2.5" clearance but it might be 3".
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Yep, mine fits under the locost just fine without driving up on anything.
- Dave Disney
vwbud

Post by vwbud »

I have gotten a lot of stuff from harbor freight...yes some of their stuff is a little "cheap" but for the most part I have been satisfied. I've gotten everything from cordless drills (like 30 bucks) to lawn mower engines, etc. from them...I've seen some of the EXACT same stuff in the Eastwood catalog for 5 and 6 times more $$$. They do have some great stuff, but you do need to shop wisely.
that cordless drill was great...better in fact than the $299 bosch one, until you drop it from 6 inches off the ground and the plastic casing explodes the inards all over the floor. that's where the bosch is better. Drop that from off the roof of the house (I almost dove off after it) and nothing but a small scratch.
-Buddy Ahlers
'03 Audi A4
'84 Rabbit convertible
'82 Rabbit L
'73 Std. Beetle
'68 Beetle convertible
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Just to let you guys know, I was told this is NOT the same jack as the $140 one. This one doesn't lift as high and has a lower load rating.
tscott

Post by tscott »

I think you are right Steven. I remember looking in that same catalog and still seeing the $130 jack. There were some differences between the two in the min and max eight but I think they had the same load rating. I hope the $130 one is a lot better because I bought it several weeks ago and have not used it.
Tyler Scott
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tscott

Post by tscott »

With a 23" handle it's probably not a rapid pump either.
Tyler Scott
Steven

Post by Steven »

Correct Tyler, the $89.99 one doesn't have the rapid pump as well.