Paper Numbers at Registration

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
ConeJunkie

Paper Numbers at Registration

Post by ConeJunkie »

I wanted to gauge peoples thoughts on something to do with the paper numbers currently being used. It seems to me that we need to do something about trying to cut back them from being used. Since it takes time to make these up and $5.00 rolls of blue tape walking off never to be seen again gets old. Here are a few ideas I had -

1. Start charging for them, maybe a $1.00 or $2.00. This may help people be motivated to purchase or make up some magnetic numbers.

2. Start a log of the class and number being handed out and only allow people to do this 2 or 3 times after which they must have magnetic numbers to compete.

Any comments??

Or go back to shoe polish, but I know timing & scoring doesn't like that. :D
I am so good I will race you and only use one hand.
tscott

Post by tscott »

I remember when I was in school and had to borrow a pencil from the teacher I had to leave her one of my shoes. Maybe you should take their keys as collateral when they borrow the tape. I agree we do need to discourage the use of these things somehow.
Last edited by tscott on Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Scott
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I know some regions rent magnetics.

Along those lines, I think charging for the paper numbers would be best. I also like the idea of taking keys or driver's license if they need to take the roll of tape away.

I used them for the SM on my car this time around and i just stuck the tape to the letters before I left registration. Seems easier to me.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
JW

Post by JW »

disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

We can't go with shoe polish because SCCA no longer allows it (AND timing/scoring doesn't like it ;)) Someone sued after they left an event because their "view" was obstructed by the shoe polish. They could use shoe polish on their doors if they don't care about their paint.

I would just charge $5 for the paper numbers, period. That way you wouldn't have to keep up with a list. $5 isn't that much more and it would eclipse the price of cheap home-made numbers pretty quickly. At $1 an event, it would be more economical for them just to continue to use the paper numbers.

We could also have a list of local and web businesses that will make the numbers.
- Dave Disney
steverife

Post by steverife »

disneyd wrote:I would just charge $5 for the paper numbers, period. That way you wouldn't have to keep up with a list. $5 isn't that much more and it would eclipse the price of cheap home-made numbers pretty quickly. At $1 an event, it would be more economical for them just to continue to use the paper numbers.

We could also have a list of local and web businesses that will make the numbers.
i like this idea. fives are a lot easier to keep up with than ones. when we collect the entry fee, we ask if they need our #'s. if so, we collect the $5 there and make sure those are the ones that get the #'s.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

a problem i could forsee with renting magnetic #'s is people driving off with them after their final run..........not to mention, we'd have to build an inventory.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

We could then use that added revenue to buy lunch for everyone that has magnetic numbers. :P

One of the buyers at carmax asked me if we need this type of service as far as making vinyl graphics, etc. He can also do airbrush, so tony could get those flames painted on his hood like he always wanted.

Anyway, he said he would beat anyones price. Whom should I have him contact? If he could show up at a couple of events and charge $10-$15 per set, I think we could pursuade peeps to buy them.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
JW

Post by JW »

thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, that is just as estimate. He stressed that it would be CHEAP.

I tell ya what. Id be happy to make them and sell them for $20-$30 a set, depending on amount of numbers and letters needed. althought I would need some lead time and wouldn't be able to make them on site.

I don't use vinyl stickers. I just buy the magnetic material, cut it to shape and paint it. Simple, but effective. I made those magnets that I use on my car in about 4 hours using this method. I could probably do class letters and numbers in 30 minutes, plus paint drying time.
Chris Harp
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Chris,

I might want to get up with you sometime soon and see what we can do about getting me some magntes.
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

heck, it don't take no special skill. here's how ya do it.

1) Go buy magnet roll ($19.99 @ AC Moore)
2) Go buy spray paint in contrasting color of your choice ($1.99)
3) Open up Microsoft word or visit a site such as www.acidfonts.com
4) Select font you like (make sure it is bold enought to be seen)
5) Print out font on big paper using MS Word (you can use the rulers on the side in page layout viewto see how tall it will be)
6) Tape print out to construction paper. (Once you get good, you can skip this step)
7) Cut out shape of numbers and letters. You can remove the papre at this point as you now have sturdy cutouts in the construstion paper.
8) Outline shape on magnet using a sharpie. The sharpie will come off with rubbing alcohol
9) Cut shape out of magnet.
10) Paint with selected color.

See, not too hard. Just a bit difficult your first time. I would like to say that sometimes things are a little easier if you have a hobby knife since the scissors can't reach everywhere. And all yours for under $25 (assuming you have scissors and the like) You will probably have plenty of magnet left over for your buddy to use as well. Depending on the font style you select you should be able to get at least enough for 2 cars out of one roll.
Last edited by thrdeye on Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Harp
DavidZC

Post by DavidZC »

I was going to return mine, but the rain kind of took care of that for me! I think paper numbers should be limited to novices. Anyone that intends to compete the whole season should really just buy some magnets. I just didn't figure out what my new class would be until right before the race. I'll have my new class magnets before the next race. Got the numbers already.
90 CRX Si boosted SM2 67
whenry

Post by whenry »

We need to make it "user-friendly" for the novices but agree that at some point, the racer just needs to commit and get #'s made. A fee would encourage that decision. I would think that allowing someone to make or sell #'s on site will take Board approval(I know, acting like a lawyer) but there are several folk in Region who are capable of making graphics.
Im glad to hear that y'all think that $5 is not that much since I know that my view of the world is skewed by the cost of road racing. More committed than the chicken in your average breakfast. There is always some interesting arguements on the Board when we discuss raising fees since some folk do remember how much it seemed like it costs when you first get started in any form of racing.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner