Gauging Interest on Rally Cross (Again)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MP5_57

Gauging Interest on Rally Cross (Again)

Post by MP5_57 »

Ok ive been looking for some rallyX's close to Knoxville and there are hardly any. Im just seeing if maybe the ETRSCCA can hold one here.

Anyone know of a big field or dirt lot that can be used?

I am willing to help as much as possible to organize a RallyX here. I am into rally and I really cant afford club or prorally soooooo this is my last option, besides CMR3.

How much interest among the group is there in a rallyX?

Thanks
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I'd say the stuff discussed in this thread still applies.

Basically, we need a site. Some sites were mentioned, but either no-one followed up, or the sites weren't really available.
- Dave Disney
Jbgti

Re: Gauging Interest on Rally Cross (Again)

Post by Jbgti »

MP5_57 wrote:Ok ive been looking for some rallyX's close to Knoxville and there are hardly any. Im just seeing if maybe the ETRSCCA can hold one here.

I am willing to help as much as possible to organize a RallyX here. I am into rally and I really cant afford club or prorally soooooo this is my last option, besides CMR3.

Thanks
Not to be an ass but have you auto crossed this year?
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I've done a few (thanks, Tyler) and enjoyed the heck out of them. However, I don't have anything that I can run since everything I own is built for smooth pavement. :roll:

I thought there was someone on here that said they had a family farm in Greenville that would be accessable for a Rallycross. I don't remember who it was.

I wonder what it would cost to buy some land...
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
MARKP

Re: Gauging Interest on Rally Cross (Again)

Post by MARKP »

Jbgti wrote:
MP5_57 wrote:Ok ive been looking for some rallyX's close to Knoxville and there are hardly any. Im just seeing if maybe the ETRSCCA can hold one here.

Thanks
Kind of apples and oranges, IMHO.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
MP5_57

Post by MP5_57 »

Wow man
Just one......my car has been broken down most of the season and i have have been broke most of the season.

J
steverife

Post by steverife »

:lol: jb = ass :lol:

rallycross sounds cool, but i don't really forsee myself having the time or budget to put together a car to use.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

not cbring wrote::lol: jb = ass :lol:.
:lol: :mrgreen:
not cbring wrote:rallycross sounds cool, but i don't really forsee myself having the time or budget to put together a car to use.
Two words for you: Monte Carlo! :twisted:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
steverife

Post by steverife »

i suppose i could upgrade to a rockcrawler carb. it doesn't like sharp corners as it sits now.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
whenry

Post by whenry »

Every time that I drive by the parking lot for Atomic Speedway or the motocross track close by, I wonder about the opportunities for a rally cross but since I dont know the rules or really have an overwhelming interest in that version of the sport, the thought goes no further.
We just need a driver-personality who is interested in helping to make the arrangements to come forward and proceed from there. I do know that the Chatt Region folk would be very willing to lend their expertise to the cause. Any takers?
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

I have some land where we could do it, but my dad no longers owns a bulldozer. It needs to be graded, and cleared, then it would be a perfect lot for rallyx. It is about 45min from knoxville in the catoosa wildlife area. Its a fun drive to get there if you go the back way. I mentioned it before, but we would have to figure out a way to get the land cleared.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

How large is the site? How much does it cost to rent a bobcat for a day?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

It sounds like there needs to be a committee on this if you want to get serious about it. We already have two possibilites for land. We just need to get a few people together that want to make this happen. Something similar to the solo committee would be good but you don't have to have as many as the solo committee.

As far as clearing the land goes, what are we talking about? Is it 2 acres or 10? Is it heavily wooded or just small growth? How much grading would need to be done? We are talking about a rallycross, I don't think it really needs to be level but obviously deep ruts across it would be an issue.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

For me to compete, it would have to be pretty smooth land. I don't want to beat up the car. If we could find an appropriate site, I wouldn't mind taking on some responsibility.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

If there is a serious interest in doing this, I've mentioned my family's farm before. I have been too lazy to take pictures or the weather has not cooperated when I have been there.

I would propose that someone from the club who has some decision making authority and knows what they are looking for come take a look. The main area that seems suited to this type event is 10 acres of relatively smooth ground all open, no trees, there is one gulley running partway through, but things could be worked around that. For that matter, there is a fence that needs to be taken down anyway and if some volunteers were willing to do that, the lot size would increase to maybe 15 acres uninterrupted. The farm is in Jefferson County about 6 or 7 miles from the Super Wal-Mart and about 4 miles from exit 4 off I-81. It needs to be mowed off right now, but that is just a few hours work.

my email address is jmiller74@earthlink.net
Jeff Miller