Tread minimum

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
burnin2

Tread minimum

Post by burnin2 »

What?s the tire tread minimum for auto-x?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

No cord showing at tech.

:D :wink:
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

scottgib wrote:No cord showing at tech.

:D :wink:
Or during the event, either.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
burnin2

Post by burnin2 »

ok thanks guys, i hate being paid every 2 weeks or else this wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure my traction is going to suck with about 1-2 mm on the tread
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

burnin2 wrote:I'm sure my traction is going to suck with about 1-2 mm on the tread
Actually, less tread is better for autocross. People shave certain brands of tires before running on them to get rid of some of the tread. The factor for you will be the age of the tires. As the tires get older, they also get harder and have less grip than when they were new.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

Formula V Traction Treatment
"Makes those old tires as sticky as they were when they came out of the mold at the factory. Heat cycles and aging cause the tire to lose its original handling and traction. Formula V restores the tire to its like new condition."

I hear it works.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

firingonfour wrote:Formula V Traction Treatment
"Makes those old tires as sticky as they were when they came out of the mold at the factory. Heat cycles and aging cause the tire to lose its original handling and traction. Formula V restores the tire to its like new condition."

I hear it works.
Been there, done that. There is some truth in that statement.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
Budman

Post by Budman »

Old thread I know....but can I get this stuff at a parts store like Advance or is it found some other place?
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Budman wrote:Old thread I know....but can I get this stuff at a parts store like Advance or is it found some other place?
I tried the major stores back when I was running on street tires, and they didn't carry the stuff. Maybe Hot Rod Barn?
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
BOBOMOFO

Post by BOBOMOFO »

Does it really work? I have seen ads in the back of magazines for it. I always wondered. My Falkens in the rear are starting to get smooth and I was wondering if it would make a difference??? Right now they are in bags in the garage waiting for the season.

Mark what was your experience????

TIA

Robert
97' M3
2009 STU Regional Champ.......
Budman

Post by Budman »

My old Azenis are at 2/32", going on 3 years old and not been bagged at all. I actually drove on them as daily drivers for one whole summer as well as auto-xing. They pretty much sat in my garage for the last year. Some help would be better than nothing for these old tires I'm sure.
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
BOBOMOFO

Post by BOBOMOFO »

Budman,

Damn yours sound way worse than mine. They are a great tire!! I bet yours are hard as a rock. I would say my rears are close to 5/32's. 245/45R17's. Thay are not that bad, but I would like to get the most of them! I woul like to hear some more feedback about this spray stuff????

TIA

Robert
97' M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

My only experience with this stuff on old tires is it makes them as slick as owl poo.

I did a little experiment with it used as recommended on two sets of tires several years ago. If you do what you are supposed to with them and treat them starting when they are brand new, they do seem to have a little more life at the end, compared to worn-untreated tires. However, there is no substitute for new, even when you treat them as directed.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
BOBOMOFO

Post by BOBOMOFO »

Mark,

Thanks for the input. I probably won't bother....just get a new set when they cord. The only problem is I live in J. C. and 100 miles on cords in the rain sucks!!

Later
97' M3
Budman

Post by Budman »

Looks like I'll be using the old Azenis for suspension dial-in. Once I get in the ball park (like I even have clue what I'm doing) then I put on the new tires. That's the plan....hope it goes smoothly. Yeah, right!
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX