Gauging Interest on Rally Cross (Again)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
tscott

Post by tscott »

Being the self-proclaimed rally-x expert in this region, I think that would work very well. The size of the land is a lot like auto-x. You can do them on small plots of land but the courses are not as fast and you can run multiple cars at a time like you could on a large plot of land. Rally-X is very hard on the land. Especially if it is muddy. Rally-X is a blast but it is a lot harder on the car than most people realize. Mark Pilson and I wer at one event where every car in our class broke down. The guy that won the class ended up having a spare vehicle. The only rally-x courses I have seen that are gentle on cars are ones that are on a softball/baseball field type surface.
Tyler Scott
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

hhhhhmmmmmm.....

My earliest competition events were all started on dirt of some kind or another many years ago.Somewhere along broken bones and broken equipment,it suddenly(20yrs) crossed my mind that I could could go faster on tarmak,build up more G's on tarmak,stop harder on tarmak,etc.And I didnt fall as far to the surface on tarmak as related to triple jumping gone BAD wrong......

And one of the best perks of this sudden trade in competition venues (20yrs) :wink: is that I take it home.....and park it.NO CLEANING NEEDED!!!!!

Now dont get me wrong! I'd love to co-drive one o these again...get all nasty,muddy...break a bunch-o-chit ...

But if it has to be baseball field smooth.....I dont get it. :?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

great.

So John can kick everyone's ass at rallycross too. :(
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

no...I'm jest trin to figger out...the point in doin the dirt thing and deal with all that mess and I'll bet Tyler knows how much of a mess it is to clean up...when we got several venues to keep it clean.

Hey,I'll race a washer / dryer if we can get three or more in a class... :lol:

but we are looking for input....thats my .02

in the winter,I run R/C cars,, off and onroad...guess which ones require the most pain and suffering???

I always thought that if we had a rally cross near,I might run the rx7...
I'd sure hate to have to clean it though.....
whenry

Post by whenry »

It appears that we need to get the "experts" from Chatt Region to make a visit and see our potential sites. I've never seen or read much about them so I am at a loss to confirm a good site. I guess that we can try a few and see if everyone is comfortable with the carnage on the land and the vehicles.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

OK OK OK ... but we have to have a whoop section and at least 1 double.

And me and Wayne will be in the open trk class.....
There is a trk class RIGHT????
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

My place has a couple of dips that will get you airborne, but not way up there. No triples
Jeff Miller
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

John Brown wrote:OK OK OK ... but we have to have a whoop section and at least 1 double.

And me and Wayne will be in the open trk class.....
There is a trk class RIGHT????
I refuse to work the course when Brown is out there with his Super Turbo Diesel 4x4 Excursion smoke machine! :shock: :lol:

That goes for Ted, too if he dares!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Hey yea TED,,,he drives a diesel...that put you TED in the trk class too...!!
tscott

Post by tscott »

Unfirtunately, SCCA does not allow jumps in Rally-X.
Tyler Scott
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

So we are back to slick surface autocrossing.......

we could all put on CO-OP tires and go to William Blount and that sounds a lot like rally cross.

less clean up too... :P
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

John Brown wrote:hhhhhmmmmmm.....

My earliest competition events were all started on dirt of some kind or another many years ago.Somewhere along broken bones and broken equipment,it suddenly(20yrs) crossed my mind that I could could go faster on tarmak,build up more G's on tarmak,stop harder on tarmak,etc.And I didnt fall as far to the surface on tarmak as related to triple jumping gone BAD wrong......

And one of the best perks of this sudden trade in competition venues (20yrs) :wink: is that I take it home.....and park it.NO CLEANING NEEDED!!!!!

Now dont get me wrong! I'd love to co-drive one o these again...get all nasty,muddy...break a bunch-o-chit ...

But if it has to be baseball field smooth.....I dont get it. :?
I agree with John on this comment. Years ago when we were young and stupid, before we knew what a rally was, my brother and I along with a couple of friends made Baha beetles. All that was required besides the VW was recapped snow tires, a saber saw, a six pack, and a whole lot of saw blades. We took them into the woods and fields to play. The whole point was to see how high we could jump them, how close to vertical we could make them go up or down hills without turning them over (we did turn them over). We broke damn near anything that would break, had bruises from shoulder harnesses, and I injured my back once when I took a jump too fast and achieved a near vertical takeoff. I landed on the engine and broke the seat. In those days we would never have bothered with a baseball practice field.

Dewey
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

dfoulk wrote:I agree with John on this comment. Years ago when we were young and stupid, before we knew what a rally was, my brother and I along with a couple of friends made Baha beetles. All that was required besides the VW was recapped snow tires, a saber saw, a six pack, and a whole lot of saw blades. We took them into the woods and fields to play. The whole point was to see how high we could jump them, how close to vertical we could make them go up or down hills without turning them over (we did turn them over). We broke damn near anything that would break, had bruises from shoulder harnesses, and I injured my back once when I took a jump too fast and achieved a near vertical takeoff. I landed on the engine and broke the seat. In those days we would never have bothered with a baseball practice field.

Dewey
Now that sounds like a whole lotta fun!! :D Well, except for the back injury part.

Anyone got a Bug for sale? :twisted:

I, for one, would be interested in Rally-X, IF I had the budget and time for a fourth vehicle that I could dedicate to it. I know next to nothing about it, but all of my current cars are setup for pavement. And as it stands, I really need to unload one of them anyway (but can't bring myself to do it). It sounds like fun, but unless I could co-drive someone's car, I doubt I'd be in a position to participate for a while.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
mfree

Post by mfree »

I would *love* to come to a local rallycross... I even kind of have the car for it already, since I lightened my '91 shadow in expectations of roll cage weight and haven't adjusted the suspension for the missing 300 pounds yet...

I always kick myself when I find out i've missed a Chattanooga region event....
2001 Daewoo Leganza (GS/HS?)
1985 Dodge Omni GLH (HS)
1991 Dodge shadow (future CP) (evil grin)
steverife

Post by steverife »

'16 FRS - PSTX 97